Reliability and maintenance

Sohrab

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Hello,
We are thinking of buying the 2016 Volvo XC90 and we are not sure about the reliably and maintenance and insurance cost of this car. I know there is no sufficient data but with any data that you have we would appreciate your advice. We saved for a long time for a nice SUV, and we love this car but we are not sure if this is a wise decision. My wife says Lexus Rx and Acura MDX are smarter choices but I love this car. Any help from the expert and current owners would be appreciate it.
Thank you.

agutie001

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I would honestly wait. See my resent post about my issues.

I LOVE this car but they obviously don't have the answered when something goes wrong. I waited for my car for months and I'm tired of driving one of their stupid loaners and getting horrible customer service at the same time. I feel like my hands are tied behind my back bc I'm getting no or horrible answers.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Incription Hybri
We love our new XC90 T8 Inscription Hybrid, but had an audio module failure right out of the box. While we love the all the features, ride and performance of this fully appointed vehicle, I am very concerned about the limited life and use of the lithium ion battery; it simply doesn't last and charging in the road is useless.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Incription Hybri
My XC90 has now officially been in the dealer shop 6 of the last 14 days of ownership. This time it's an emissions failure that, once again, they have no clue. They call Volvo central on the east coast; they don't have a clue. They have to call Sweden to get a resolution. I'm ready to call the dealer and ask for my money back. Between the hybrid battery that has no useful life, the complete audio failure and now this... I've had it. Is anyone at Volvo listening?... You have a problem

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 VolvoXC
I took delivery of my XC90Transcription (twilight bronze with amber interior) on December 23rd 2015. It is full fully loaded with Convenience, Climate, and vision packages as well as 4 corner air suspensions. I also had added the tow package and the running boards with LED lighting (boy are they sharp!) I have already put 1,500 miles on the vehicle. I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS. The car is a gem. The technology is awesome, it drives itself.

kjax56

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Be careful logging onto message boards and asking about reliability. You will most likely encounter people who are having problems and looking for a solution or someone to gripe to. It is the same with every brand, there will be vehicles that are not up to snuff, and the unfortunate people who own them will make themselves heard. The people having no problems with their vehicle are most likely not looking here.

This being said. I have had my 2016 XC90 Momentum (Convenience/vision packages) edition for the past 30 days with absolutely no issues. I've already driven 3000+ miles including a road trip from Pennsylvania to Florida (1000 miles each way) over Christmas. I have tested out all the options and features and am truly impressed. No reliability issues. The technology is amazing including pilot assist and adaptive cruise control. Apple Carplay works as it should.

We were having so much fun stuck in traffic, we made a video featuring the Pilot assist mode.

[video=youtube;PJ274CHOv1k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ274CHOv1k[/video]

So chalk me up as satisfied, and if you have the same experience as me, you will be too.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
great video. I also have the pilot assist and like you, am very happy with it. the car does not want you to take your hands off the steering wheel. although it will steer itself, it does want you to keep at least a finger in it. =)

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I've had mine (Momentum, with no other options) since late November, and we've had no problems... except for a couple gremlins with the lift gate. The foot opener rarely works, and once or twice the power lift didn't activate. However, this is never repeatable.

wjtinatl

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T6
Owning one of the first '16 XC90s, I'd agree with waiting a bit... Took delivery of our factory ordered XC90 in September '16 and immediately loaded up for a trip from ATL to the Northeast. Overall the XC90 performed well, but several little hiccups like the occasional total shutdown and reboot of the Sensus system while driving gave some pause for concern, but overall a comfortable ride and the Volvo performed well. After 5000 miles however it's been in the shop 3 days for a check engine light and a refusual to completely shut down when exiting the car. The engine shuts off, but the dash and Sensus screen stay illuminated, leading the low battery warnings a few hours later. The dealer could not replicate that problem. Yesterday, the car would not start. Dash lit up and all accessories functioned fine, but the starter will not engage or the engine turnover. Not even a click. Awaiting a flatbed from the Volvo dealer, hopefully just a bad swtch or other easily identifiable problem. Lots of technology in this vehicle, hoping Volvo can keep it all functioning as designed.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T8
2016 T8 Inscription. No problems at all in first six months and 4500 miles.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
All XC90s come with free 3y maintenance.

I traded in my 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan and cost to insure my XC90 R-Design is only 50$ more per 6 months.

I have the car for 3 weeks now and only issue I have is getting false notifications on the iPhone app the car is unlocked, happens 2-3/week.
My salesman said to call Volvo on call through the in car button, but I did not have time yet.

The car has so much technology, so far it works well, I just wished the car modem has LTE connection, I checked the speed and is just over 5Mbps download and 20Mbps (!) upload.
Please remember that the car needs to be locked when you do not use it, even if it stays in your garage overnight as the battery will drain and you will have to jump start it in the morning. Think of it as a PC that you have to put in standby mode when not used.

I love the CarPlay, Pilot Assist2 features, HUD, the seats, the Dynamic mode is crazy responsive, real life MPG is 20-21.
I have Air suspension for the first time and do not feel any floaty boaty as others describe.

One feature I would like to have is to have driver seat automatically move back/forward when exiting/starting the car, even my Sienna had this and I miss that feature, I think it is matter of software update only.

Fell free to ask me any questions about T6 features as I have all features that R-Design offers for 2017.

dealcatcher

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I have the car for 3 weeks now and only issue I have is getting false notifications on the iPhone app the car is unlocked, happens 2-3/week.
My salesman said to call Volvo on call through the in car button, but I did not have time yet.

I thought I was the only one getting false notifications on the car being unlocked. I get it almost every week or so. I doubt I leave the car unlocked this often.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
For some reason, I thought that the seat retract option was just a setting you could turn on and off? My LR4 had it as well as the steering wheel that moved up and away when the door opened.

I can't say for sure since mine hasn't been delivered yet, but I do remember reading something about it.

Rob

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
I checked all settings and no such option to automatically move driver seat.
I'm sure you know the steering wheel cannot move as it is not electrically adjusted at all, just the old fashioned lever no matter which trim or options. On the other hand the car lowers itself when you park so it is supposed to be easier to get out, but you need air suspension for that.