Is there a way to force a reconnect to the GPS without a hard reset?

TwonkyJMA

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
Our GPS has been wrong for the last 24 hours. Don't want to do a reset as it will clear other settings.
Is there a way to cause a GPS "new search and lock?"
Thanks.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
I would try switching user profile to another one and then switch back to your profile.
If that does not work try updating the maps if there is update needed, check in the software update section.
If that doesn't work do the reset, but save your user profile on USB drive so you don't have to adjust your settings again.
Hope it helps.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Agreed
I would try switching user profile to another one and then switch back to your profile.
If that does not work try updating the maps if there is update needed, check in the software update section.
If that doesn't work do the reset, but save your user profile on USB drive so you don't have to adjust your settings again.
Hope it helps.

TwonkyJMA

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
Thank you, we tried all of this today, and none of it worked. And now the GPS thinks we are across the country, versus just 10 miles away. So looks like we will have to take the car in for service. This smells like a software bug, hopefully they can address it quickly. Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions!

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
Thank you, we tried all of this today, and none of it worked. And now the GPS thinks we are across the country, versus just 10 miles away. So looks like we will have to take the car in for service. This smells like a software bug, hopefully they can address it quickly. Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions!

As a last resort I would disconnect battery for 5 minutes.
If you have settings stored on USB drive that should not cause you any issues. Anyway, that is what I would do if that happened to me and that's how I fixed my wife's Lexus navi several months ago when Lexus had some problems.

TwonkyJMA

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
As a last resort I would disconnect battery for 5 minutes.
If you have settings stored on USB drive that should not cause you any issues. Anyway, that is what I would do if that happened to me and that's how I fixed my wife's Lexus navi several months ago when Lexus had some problems.
Thanks for that suggestion - we ended up not trying that (yet) and my wife is taking the car in for service today (as we needed to pick up our license plates anyway). So we'll see what the verdict is here, I am sure some sort of reset will do the trick.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
What do you mean by "wrong"? Sometimes I manually move the screen around and end up looking at something miles away. There will be a symbol on the left side of the screen that looks like a "target" symbol. I touch the target and the screen slaves back to the current location and the gps resumes tracking normally.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Our GPS has been wrong for the last 24 hours. Don't want to do a reset as it will clear other settings.
Is there a way to cause a GPS "new search and lock?"
Thanks.
TwonkyJMA, did you get a resolution to your question - would love to know.

TwonkyJMA

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
No, my wife took the car in and they did something (probably a software update and/or a more thorough reboot.
Thanks for checking. It has not happened again since.

TwonkyJMA, did you get a resolution to your question - would love to know.