Extended Service and Wear Covereage - is it worth it?

vtomeldan

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90 T6 Momentum
Hi All,

Debating on purchasing either a 3 service + wear coverage($2400) or 5 service + wear ($3000) coverage package. Any opinions out there on whether its worth it? I hear that breaks/rotors can wear down as early as 17k Miles. Wondering if this is a worthy investment, or if I'm better of just saving the $$.

Thanks,
V

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Hi All,

Debating on purchasing either a 3 service + wear coverage($2400) or 5 service + wear ($3000) coverage package. Any opinions out there on whether its worth it? I hear that breaks/rotors can wear down as early as 17k Miles. Wondering if this is a worthy investment, or if I'm better of just saving the $$.

Thanks,
V
If you plan on putting a lot of miles on the car then its worth it since you'll be taking advantage of more services during the 3 years. Also both plans are negotiable through the finance dept.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
Most of the research I've read on extended warranties say that the majority of those who bought them ended up regretting it, as their repair bills ended up being less than the warranty costs. The car comes with a 4 year 50K mile warranty. So in the offer made to me by the finance guy, it was 7 year 100K warranty for about $2400, which then I immediately translated back to him as a 3 year 50K warranty extension. So I'll make the bet that in that time period, I may expect a couple of repair bills @ $1200 each. I figure out that by the third year of the model (2018), they've rung-out a lot of the early reliability issues. So to be safe, I put $3500 from my checking into my savings account to be untouched for future car repairs. I'm self-insuring, and if the repairs turn out to be less, then I win.

My wife is picking up our 2018 XC90 Inscription as I type this out. Looking forward to driving it!