Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Hello All,

I am new to the group. I scrolled through the posts, but did not see my issue listed, so here goes...

We bought a 2017 about a month ago. We love the car, but after a week away over the holidays we returned home to find the battery dead and the car would not start. We jumped it off and drove around quite a bit to attempt to recharge the battery and it seemed to work for a few days. Then with normal driving we encountered the low battery warning and the center console being turned off due to low power. Upon visiting the dealer for this issue, they replaced the battery (I think the one in the rear) and updated the software/firmware. A week after that the problems began again. This time the low battery warning was in the center of the dash. I returned to the dealer today and they rolled back the software to the previous (original) version and charged the battery. They indicated that Volvo is working on a fix for this.

I do normal around town driving, and i do not run any accessories without the car running. There's nothing unique about how I use the car. So clearly, this is just going to happen again on a new very expensive car. Can't say that I'm too happy about it.

Some questions -

1) Has anyone else experienced this? What have you been told?

2) Does anyone know when the "fix" may be delivered?

3) Any other advice or input?

TIA,

Jon

Burtman198

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Jon, Hope this helps, I too have a 2017 T6 inscription model, I had taken mine in because the VOLVO On Call will not let me remote start via my iPhone. Dealer has told me that VOLVO is redoing satellite service along with fixing updates. This past week mine was going to have the updates done just to find out the the Volvo system is still not up and running. I was told that when they hooked my car up to the computer a WARNING came up on their computer saying if the upgrade is completed at this time I my have Battery Charging problems.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I am not sure if this helps, but I have read in a few places that you might have better luck if you lock the car when you are away, even in the garage overnight. It sounds like lots of stuff continues to run even after its been sitting idle for a while.

I may actually get mines this week and I hope it is up to date when it arrives.

Rob

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Thanks both, I even considered that leaving my On Call app running in the background might be keeping the car computer active. Clearly they have not yet figured out how to balance all the systems with the level of battery power on board. I also noticed that low battery power results in the auto off not turning off. I wish I could get some sort of battery health value displayed on the dash.

dealcatcher

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
OP, they released a software fix this week. Ask your dealer about it. I had mine done and so far the warning hasn't come back. Fingers crossed.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
dealcatcher, is your remote start working OK too?

OP, they released a software fix this week. Ask your dealer about it. I had mine done and so far the warning hasn't come back. Fingers crossed.

dealcatcher

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
dealcatcher, is your remote start working OK too?
I haven't tried remote start yet but I will say I haven't gotten the false positive notifications that my car is unlocked.

4 days in though and my auto start/stop stopped working. Back to the dealership... ugh

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
When they "upgraded" my software to the version that they subsequently rolled me back from my remote start would not work. I would get the red error message at the bottom of the app. Since they have rolled me back to the original software, remote start has worked fine.

It would be nice if there was some way we could identify the version of the software/firmware that is installed on our cars so we could discuss this with better data.

Jon

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Update to my issues 1/28/17:

The car and Volvo on Call app including remote start finally works perfect after the latest software update that I got installed on 1/25/17 at my dealer.

I am VERY happy now !!!

dealcatcher

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
The dealer updated my software for the battery drain issue and two weeks later the low battery warning is back. Not a happy camper...

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I was told that software that I had installed was released 1/17 or 1/18/17. I was scheduled initially for 1/16/17 but that day it was not available yet, so I got it on 1/25.

The dealer updated my software for the battery drain issue and two weeks later the low battery warning is back. Not a happy camper...

teajaydc

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
Hello All,

I am new to the group. I scrolled through the posts, but did not see my issue listed, so here goes...

We bought a 2017 about a month ago. We love the car, but after a week away over the holidays we returned home to find the battery dead and the car would not start. We jumped it off and drove around quite a bit to attempt to recharge the battery and it seemed to work for a few days. Then with normal driving we encountered the low battery warning and the center console being turned off due to low power. Upon visiting the dealer for this issue, they replaced the battery (I think the one in the rear) and updated the software/firmware. A week after that the problems began again. This time the low battery warning was in the center of the dash. I returned to the dealer today and they rolled back the software to the previous (original) version and charged the battery. They indicated that Volvo is working on a fix for this.

I do normal around town driving, and i do not run any accessories without the car running. There's nothing unique about how I use the car. So clearly, this is just going to happen again on a new very expensive car. Can't say that I'm too happy about it.

Some questions -

1) Has anyone else experienced this? What have you been told?

2) Does anyone know when the "fix" may be delivered?

3) Any other advice or input?

TIA,

Jon
I just got my T6 Inscription delivered last Saturday. Today is Wednesday and I am getting a message that the battery is low. I only have 51 miles on it. I haven't done a lot of driving or sitting with accessories on. This is very alarming. I wonder if the network communications features are draining the battery.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I've been locking my door at night or when it will sit for a long time, it seems to help some. But in the morning I can tell that the battery is low as the auto stop/start feature will not be active until I am at least half way to work. If I drive during the day to client sites, it will stop/start as normal.

Rob

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I had same issue with battery and also with remote start not working .

Both issues were fixed by software update that was released around January 20th.
Since then no problems!
Since you car just arrived please check with your dealer to get the new software as you car was probably on the ship when it was released.

I was told by my salesman to lock my car at night to turn it off completely so only necessary systems are active. It was at first weird since I keep my car in attached garage and never had to lock a car before, but I got used to it.

Please check my other posts, I was really upset about these issues, but again - the new software fixed it all.
This is not over the air update so it can only be done by dealer.

I also wish there was a way to tell which version we have (so you can compare) but unfortunately users can't check that.

Hope it helps.

I just got my T6 Inscription delivered last Saturday. Today is Wednesday and I am getting a message that the battery is low. I only have 51 miles on it. I haven't done a lot of driving or sitting with accessories on. This is very alarming. I wonder if the network communications features are draining the battery.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
FYI - I had a software update installed two weeks ago which fixed the battery drain issue. Check wit your dealer. Jon

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
Thank you all for your posts on battery drain/locking car. I have had same issues with car purchased 2/1/17 and have been very frustrated. I now realize from your posts that I need to be persistent and insistent with my dealer and get the software update ASAP! Will post a follow up when my issues are resolved.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I took mine in this week for the update. I kept getting battery warnings for low voltage. I hope that resolves the issue.

Also, read my post in the warranty area. There is evidently a new recall. ugh...

Rob

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
Thanks, Rob!

I took mine in this week for the update. I kept getting battery warnings for low voltage. I hope that resolves the issue.

Also, read my post in the warranty area. There is evidently a new recall. ugh...

Rob
Oh no! Did not know about recalls! Will check on this! Again, thank you!

steve-g

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
XC90 2016
Battery Issue

Oh no! Did not know about recalls! Will check on this! Again, thank you!
I have a brand new XC90. I was dead in my driveway after two days idle. My best friend and his family have the same car. Also dead.

I was told software update was required.

Why are they not recalling and doing this more proactively?

Not impressed for the price. Worst customer service ever. The dealership and Volvo Canada made me feel like I was asking for too much by asking them to fix it and not make it my problem.

This is my first and last Volvo.