Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi all,

What are people doing for roof rack cross bars? Are you just getting the factory ones or getting Thule or Yakima stuff?

We need a set, but not until Spring when we can get the kayaks out again.

Rob

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I'm looking as well. I have not done any research yet. My XC90 is being delivered on Tuesday :)

Reactions
State
DE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 R-Design

Factory bars...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
That car is sexy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
DE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 R-Design
Thanks. Also has an Invisihitch if that's of interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Yeah I can't wait until mine arrives on Wednesday. It was supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I will likely be going the invisihitch route as well.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I've done a little research. Thule makes two versions for the Inscriptions. one that I assume is the factory set up and the other is a more traditional foot/bar arrangement. Thule being a company based in Sweden, I have to believe they are the source of the factory set up.

Thule seems like it will actually seems like it may cost more than the factory set up.

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
I used a Yakima aftermarket rack with round bars. It is NOISY as all hell. I'd go with the factory aerobats if I were doing it again.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I'm also looking into this at the moment. On the Thule website it gives 2 options for a 2017 XC90 based on if it has 'Flush rails' or 'Roof Railing'. I wouldn't describe the XC90's rails as flush, but the Thule site shows 'roof railing' as being more prominent and having gaps? If you select flush it offers the Rapid System 753 feet, while on roof railing it only offers the combined rail and foot packages like SmartRack 785. Anyone any ideas please?

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
The red XC90 pictured above in this post has "flush rails." If your's look like that, I'd go with the flush rails option. If yours are raised more than that and have space between the roof and the rail, then I'd go with the "roof Railing" option.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Perfect, thanks very much, very kind.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Hi, to close my question off, I bought the following Thule parts which fit perfectly:

1 x Thule (252) Rapid System Fixpoint XT low feet (4) no. 753

1 x Thule Rapid Railing adapter kit no. 4058 (Volvo XC90 (2015 onwards) )

1 x Thule (88) Rapid System 127cm WingBars (2) no. 969

Incidently, if you buy these from www.roofbox.co.uk they also have a lock matching service where they will give you locks that all have the same key. Very handy as I also bought 3 bike carriers and so could have ended up with 4 different keys for the 10 locks used!

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 xc90 t6 momentum, Denim Blue
I'm also looking into this at the moment. On the Thule website it gives 2 options for a 2017 XC90 based on if it has 'Flush rails' or 'Roof Railing'.
The momentum's rails aren't flush like that of the inscription or the r-design. I believe that's what Thule is referring to.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
FWIW I went with the factory hitch for my 2018 Inscription. With that, it ties into the vehicle stability system; it even lets me test the lights of the trailer easily.