Looking for a second SUV (from BMW X5)

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Hi all,

I currently have a 13 BMW X5. I love the car. It feels smaller than a SUV. Pretty fast even for the ?cheapest? model. Handles extremely well. Love the excellent brakes. The brakes are probably one of my highlights of this car. The brakes are really responsive and can stop on a dime. But it?s a five seater and ideally, we want a seven seater.

With a growing family, we need something bigger. Wife?s dream car is a full size Range Rover. It?s a bit out of budget. When I test drove it, it handles poorly. Just a big car compared to my X5. But it looks nice. It is one of the nicest looking interior and plush cars I have seen.

I?m looking at a T6 inscription or a T8 hybrid. Never had a hybrid before so don?t know if it will be a headache to fix once things start needing maintenance or replacement. I never drove this car so I am wondering how the handling compares to a bmw. I?ve heard it is soft and not hydraulic steering like my car. Is it electric steering which I hate because of how numb it feels? Do the brakes feel soft or does it stop like bmws do? I?d be curious to hear real owner input who have also driven a BMW X5 (not the 2015+ because those don?t drive like the older ones do)?

Update- I just saw a lengthy YouTube video where the driver said the only negative thing about the T8 hybrid is that the brakes feel like you?re stepping on a sponge. You always have to second-guess yourself. Is the T6 brakes the same feeling as the T8 brakes? That could be a problem because my BMW stops on a dime.

Last edited:

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
With all due respect sounds like you really need a test drive !

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Come on guys! I know I need a test drive but any real owners? real world input prior would be great!

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I have never driven/considered BMWs as I don't like playing with knobs and love touchscrens (just like on my iPhone) - although I heard recently it is changing even for BMW.
So I cant compare the brakes, my XC90 is a RDesign with air suspension (I got all the options except the towing hook - ordered directly from the factory BTW).
I don't get excited to much about brakes, they just work well, never had issue, I think the plus of air suspension is that that you don't feel car nose diving with harder braking as the suspension responds to the way you drive.
I have a feeling that if you care about the badge on your car (BMW, Range Rover etc) you will not be happy with this car, it does not turn heads, but if you want a peace of mind on the road (volvo is still best as far as safety) and also when it is parked (they will scratch the BMW/Land Rovers/Lexus first before the Volvo) then I can tell you that this is the best 7 seater on the market now.
Hope it helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Just forgot to add that the old fashioned feel of steering/braking is pretty much gone for every car that can steer/brake itself, and as you may know XC90 is that kind of car. It only gets worse when you buy hybrid as there is also regenerative braking that changes everything even more.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
It?s not so much about the brand. It?s more about handling of the car and the braking. It doesn?t have to be super quick but can?t be super slow. My X5 does 0-60 times of 6.5 seconds and sometimes I wish it were a little faster. That?s why I?m not convinced that I will enjoy a four cylinder engine despite the posh interior and good looks of the Volvo. I read the Audi Q7 is a better drive because of the bigger v6 but I don?t like the looks of it.

So are you saying the T8 hybrid models braking actually feel spongier compared to the regular T6 inscription? Are the T6 more responsive?

I read that the 2017 models all have self driving up to 80 Mph basically equivalent to Tesla?s Autopilit feature. Is this standard on all models or optional?

Burtman198

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I had two BMW X3 and a 2007 BMW X5 with that said this was my first Volvo (2017 XC90 inscription T6) and I was amazed after the first test drive. If I didn't know what was under the hood I would have thought it was a six. I was blown away with the performance of the XC90. The biggest difference that I think you my see is taking fast corners BMW was fantastic in that regards. Once you get past that, witch won't take long, you will be impressed with Volvo. From navigation to Sound System, Yes I went with B&W, to fit and finish and of course safety I think BMW will be in your past.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
In that case get a T6 with Polestar (extra 1200$). T8 has better 0-60 but feels very "artificial" and heavier than T6, including the braking (reminded me of Q7 during test-drive )
As far as T6 you can get a Inscription with all the wood and light colored leathers or RDesign with a bit more sporty exterior, but the interior is one and only choice - black including headliner and sport pedals, (paddle shifters=fun - not available in Inscription), cool RDdesign LED logo on all 4 door sills, and optional 22inch sporty wheels not available on Inscription). There is no difference in engine in T6 RDesign vs Inscription, but I think the paddle shifters make a big difference.
And you can Polestar the RDesign as well as Inscription.

I test drove Audi Q7, feels less agile than XC90, the HUD was blinking, and I just could not get over the knobs (if feels almost criminal navigating Apple Car Play with the knob - I kept pressing the screen), one and significant plus for Audi is the virtual cockpit with google maps - looks sooo cool!

As far as advanced Autopilot it is standard as far as I know at least on T6 and T8; FYI, Tesla has far more advanced autopilot features, just watch the video on Tesla website, Volvo does not change lanes, does not stop on STOP signs, does not recognize traffic lights, does not navigate through intersections, you have to touch the steering wheel every 20-30 seconds (I did not count) to keep autopilot active. But is use the volvo autopilot a lot in the stop and go traffic or during slower highway commute, it is very safe = you can practically have your breakfast or even lunch while driving.
I have a feeling that Volvo would be able to activate same thing as Tesla but it waits to perfect the system, as it cares about safety the most.
I like their goal for 2020 that nobody will die or be seriously injured in a new Volvo car, it is only 2 years away.

It?s not so much about the brand. It?s more about handling of the car and the braking. It doesn?t have to be super quick but can?t be super slow. My X5 does 0-60 times of 6.5 seconds and sometimes I wish it were a little faster. That?s why I?m not convinced that I will enjoy a four cylinder engine despite the posh interior and good looks of the Volvo. I read the Audi Q7 is a better drive because of the bigger v6 but I don?t like the looks of it.

So are you saying the T8 hybrid models braking actually feel spongier compared to the regular T6 inscription? Are the T6 more responsive?

I read that the 2017 models all have self driving up to 80 Mph basically equivalent to Tesla?s Autopilit feature. Is this standard on all models or optional?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
In that case get a T6 with Polestar (extra 1200$). T8 has better 0-60 but feels very "artificial" and heavier than T6, including the braking (reminded me of Q7 during test-drive )
As far as T6 you can get a Inscription with all the wood and light colored leathers or RDesign with a bit more sporty exterior, but the interior is one and only choice - black including headliner and sport pedals, (paddle shifters=fun - not available in Inscription), cool RDdesign LED logo on all 4 door sills, and optional 22inch sporty wheels not available on Inscription). There is no difference in engine in T6 RDesign vs Inscription, but I think the paddle shifters make a big difference.
And you can Polestar the RDesign as well as Inscription.

I test drove Audi Q7, feels less agile than XC90, the HUD was blinking, and I just could not get over the knobs (if feels almost criminal navigating Apple Car Play with the knob - I kept pressing the screen), one and significant plus for Audi is the virtual cockpit with google maps - looks sooo cool!

As far as advanced Autopilot it is standard as far as I know at least on T6 and T8; FYI, Tesla has far more advanced autopilot features, just watch the video on Tesla website, Volvo does not change lanes, does not stop on STOP signs, does not recognize traffic lights, does not navigate through intersections, you have to touch the steering wheel every 20-30 seconds (I did not count) to keep autopilot active. But is use the volvo autopilot a lot in the stop and go traffic or during slower highway commute, it is very safe = you can practically have your breakfast or even lunch while driving.
I have a feeling that Volvo would be able to activate same thing as Tesla but it waits to perfect the system, as it cares about safety the most.
I like their goal for 2020 that nobody will die or be seriously injured in a new Volvo car, it is only 2 years away.
I will look into the Polestar. I did a quick google and it said it was a performance upgrade for the T8 hybrid only. Didn't say anything about T6.

I actually would prefer the black headliner but when I was looking at the T6 Inscription, it didnt have the black headliner option. Only had the light headliner. I was looking at the Inscription because it has nicer leather than the R Design doesn't it? Even though the R Design looks sportier with nicer grille and wheels. I believe the R Design doesnt have the 12.3" digital screen that the Inscription has.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Would you recommend the air suspension ($1800) and B&W premium stereo ($3200)?
Why is the Luxury Package ($3150) only available with the Inscription but not the R Design?
I'm trying to figure out if the leather is softer/nicer/different in the Inscription than in the R Design models. I'm leaning toward the looks of the R Design, especially if it is the only one available with the black headliner. But Inscription costs more for a reason right? I don't really care for the wood trim. I actually prefer carbon fiber or aluminum trim found in the R Design. But not sure if I really like the R Design seats and they look a little too sporty and buckety. What else does Inscription offer to make it more expensive? Nicer leather, bigger screen?

Burtman198

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
the Inscription does come with the Black Headliner standard if you order the Amber interior as I did.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
the Inscription does come with the Black Headliner standard if you order the Amber interior as I did.

Can you get black headliner with black leather? Didn?t see that on the build your own. Is it suede material for the headliner?

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
The inscription comes with ventilated seats, softer leather, more chrome bits on the outside, rear shades for the windows... not sure what else.

My wife is in the market for a new premium SUV/crossover. None of the Germans have made the cut so far. The only one she is still considering is the new Cayenne. The updates to the dash are pretty nice and eliminate a bunch of the secondary controls you don't see on the XC90. Q7, X5, and the Merc all have the tacked on ipad looking display that sits on the dash rather than being part of it. The XC90 integration is fabulous.

Her first choice is likely going to be the new Discovery. Its pretty nice and compares well to the XC90 in terms of size and function. Her second choice is likely the Velar which has three screens. The new Rovers all have that, but the Discovery line does not.

I love my XC90 inscription T6. My first Volvo product. I had an LR4 prior to this, and my new XC90 is heads and shoulders above that vehicle. I have this vehicle for another 3-4 years, then it will be time to look at the competition again. I hope that Volvo knocks it out of the park again by then.

I bought the air suspension and the B&W sound system. I love both! The B&W is fantastic and I enjoy it every drive. Money well spent and is one of the few deal breakers for me. No premium sound, no purchase... The air suspension was a no brainer. It levels the vehicle no matter what load. We carry our adult children when they are in town and the car feels the same no matter if it is loaded with seven adults or just me in the car. Lowering at highway speed is also very nice and the ability to raise and lower for conditions and loading is very welcome. The best part is, it truly isolates better and rides better. It lowers in Dynamic mode and the suspension really firms up.

Acceleration is amazing for a 2.0, 4cylinder. The breaks are plenty strong and the safety is reassuring. I have set my autopilot at 84 and it works fine. At 85mph, it will sometimes take and sometimes not. 84 its happy. By the way, the speed limit in South Dakota is 80mph. We have kids in three states and travel a lot. I routinely use the self driving mode, but 15-20 seconds is about all you get unless you have your hand on the wheel. Then it will happily drive for hundreds of miles by itself.

Best of luck on your new purchase.

Rob

Burtman198

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
For what is worth my CO-Worker has the Discovery. Someone smashed the side window and it took over four months to get a replacement. Seems no one carries the window and one had to be ordered from the factory.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I would recommend as many options as you can afford - air suspension, B&W and HUD are AWESOME, not sure how I ever drove without it...

I got all possible options on T6 RDesign except towing hook (even the rear booster seat - I used it 3-4 times only as my kids are much older, but every time parent of the kid that was in this seat was extremely impressed with the car = "What do you mean you don't need my car seat? Wow..."

I am not sure why the inscription is that more expensive: important things that you cant have in RDesign are only heated steering wheel (apparently it is due to paddle shifters that cancel this option) and ventilated/massage seats, I would love to have these options in RDesign, but I liked better the sportier looks, dark interior (with aluminum or carbon fiber trim), sportier wheels and cool LED door sills.

All XC90s have same screens and seats are same shape (they just look more sporty on RDesign - but they are just as "buckety" as on Inscription)

RDesigns can have same options as in inscription's Luxury Package except the massage seats - the Package is just named different way.

Would you recommend the air suspension ($1800) and B&W premium stereo ($3200)?
Why is the Luxury Package ($3150) only available with the Inscription but not the R Design?
I'm trying to figure out if the leather is softer/nicer/different in the Inscription than in the R Design models. I'm leaning toward the looks of the R Design, especially if it is the only one available with the black headliner. But Inscription costs more for a reason right? I don't really care for the wood trim. I actually prefer carbon fiber or aluminum trim found in the R Design. But not sure if I really like the R Design seats and they look a little too sporty and buckety. What else does Inscription offer to make it more expensive? Nicer leather, bigger screen?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I don?t mind buying used if it can save me some money. Is there a big reason to avoid certain years? I think I?ve heard 2016 has a bunch of problems. That?s usually the case with the first year, as the company is still trying to work out the issues. I think at least 2017 for the Auto Pilot Assist 2 right? I?m not sure what 2018 offers over 2017.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Am I reading this correctly? 0-60 times improved by one tenth of a second only?

Also I did a search on some 2018 models and it seems like you can get the T6 Inscriptipn with black leather and black headliner now. The 2017 models only offered black headliner when you got the amber leather. Light headliner was only available with the black leather but it seems like they changed it now. But the ?build your own? on the Volvo website still shows light headliner as the only option in the picture when configured with black leather seats. Check it out

http://www.herzogmeier.com/new/Volvo/2018-Volvo-XC90-3e9ace800a0e0ae97c078eb0d10be979.htm

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
This particular model is the "sportiest" from all the Inscriptions that I have seen. Even the wood is not in your face that much:) The headliner looks more dark grey than black but may it is the photos lighting - no huge issue here anyway. But if you are more into sport looks as I am - the aluminum trim, sport pedals, paddle shifters, sport wheels, lack of chrome - all make a big difference to me.
But I am really happy to see that you can customize you XC90 to what you like.
When I was shopping for mine in mid 2016, only the cheap models were available, if you wanted RDesign with more options factory order was the only way to go, and I am glad I did, as I have exactly what I want.

As far as Polestar, I don't have it but I am planning to get it soon when I take my car for a recall that was just issued (something with the back seatbelts), this is just about having you car more responsive in daily driving, I think the 0.1 improvement in 0-60 is a kind of "side effect", please note that MPG remains the same.

Am I reading this correctly? 0-60 times improved by one tenth of a second only?

Also I did a search on some 2018 models and it seems like you can get the T6 Inscriptipn with black leather and black headliner now. The 2017 models only offered black headliner when you got the amber leather. Light headliner was only available with the black leather but it seems like they changed it now. But the ?build your own? on the Volvo website still shows light headliner as the only option in the picture when configured with black leather seats. Check it out

http://www.herzogmeier.com/new/Volvo/2018-Volvo-XC90-3e9ace800a0e0ae97c078eb0d10be979.htm